Why Should You Stop Spending Money on SEO Companies?
For many years, companies have spent a ton of money on SEO strategies. The majority of these old school strategies are short-lived, weak, and sometimes include black hat SEO tricks. Plenty of SEO companies have made a gang of money on companies who just don’t know any better. In a desperate bid to climb to the very top of Google’s search results, companies have focused on whatever the SEO companies wanted them to focus on. Don’t get me wrong: not all SEO companies out there are swindlers, and I’m not saying there is zero need for SEO. However, for too many years, SEO has been many brands’ entire focus. So why is SEO flawed, you might ask?
- Old school SEO focuses on a machine and algorithms, not people.
- Old school SEO might work great at first, but it’s difficult to scale.
- Old school SEO can be rigged for any results you want.
One more thing: SEO was able to take off the way it did because businesses and brands needed a service and they had no clue how to do it themselves. Hiring a third-party company to handle their SEO solved the problem, and it took the pressure off internal employees to figure it out themselves. And if that third-party company’s SEO tactics were duds? Instant scapegoat! It was all the SEO company’s fault. Bottom line: companies liked using SEO because it was easy.
- It was easier to pay the SEO company than to train/learn proper SEO tactics.
- It was easier to fire the SEO company than an internal employee tasked with SEO.
- It was easier to make the SEO company accountable rather than your own company.
These days are coming to an end, however. The way companies are thinking and the way the online consumer researches and purchases has drastically been disrupted. A stand alone SEO solution does not pack the same punch it did in the 1990s.
Why Put Your Hard-Earned Cash into Content Marketing?
The number one reason I am a huge advocate of content marketing is because it’s not a stand alone strategy. There are many different facets of content marketing, like blogging, email, social and – guess what! – even SEO. So please ask yourself, “Why am I paying for a stand alone service when I could be getting way more for my hard-earned money? Why am I not investing in a service that provides SEO and a ton of other benefits, too? And why am I talking to myself?”
I can’t help you with the last part, but why aren’t you investing in content marketing? Here’s why content marketing works.
- Content marketing focuses on the person, not the machine.
- Content marketing is like a fine wine – it gets better the more you do it.
- Content marketing is hard to game. Remember, it is focused on people, not machines.
Content marketing has truly been the saviour of many businesses. It has cleared that skewed SEO mindset and put them on a track for success. If you are not doing content marketing yet, you should be. It is a complete methodology that will impact your company’s bottom line. So why is content marketing so powerful?
- With blogging, your company builds a voice as a thought leader.
- With social, your company can gain friends and trust.
- With proper email, you can talk to your customers again.
- And yes, with SEO, you can strategize the right keywords for your target audience – but stay away from the black hat tricks!
It’s simple: content marketing gives your company way more than just SEO. If you are spending tons of money on SEO services, it may be time for you to refocus and start thinking about content marketing. It will be a little more work for your company, but the payoff is more than worth it.
What do you think about the SEO company your business is using? Are you an SEO company? Have you been doing content marketing? And most importantly, are you still talking to yourself? Leave your thoughts in the comments. I would love to hear them.