One thing I find that most affiliates have trouble with is getting more volume to a campaign. There are many reasons that could cause lower volume but today we will just talk about Bing and how to get your ads running more smoothly. I believe more and more affiliates are overlooking the power of this traffic source. Since day one Bing has been my number one traffic source and still to this day I run massive volume with them.
When I first started using PPC with CPA affiliate marketing I had no idea that my quality score and other parts of my campaign helped improve my ad visibility and ROI (return on investment). This is true and why not take advantage of the little things that bring in more volume to your landing page and more money to your bank account.
In this post I am going to outline many improvements which your ads and landing pages can take advantage of to improve your overall campaign for better performance. It is a good idea to book mark this post so that you can check back to it often to make sure you are doing what you need to do for a better campaign. I was inspired to write about this topic when one of my own readers asked me how to get better volume on probably 2,000 keywords. What is funny here is there were three people I have been talking to lately that have had the same issue. These keywords should be putting out some massive volume but were not. Here is why! They were not improving relevance, quality scores or taking advantage of some small tricks to better their campaigns. The below information is good for Google and Bing as well as other PPC networks.
Relevancy is important now days. Search companies care more and more about their users today hence the reason that they only show relevant ads to their searchers. They want people to keep using their search engine so they need to provide quality to them. I hope that this makes sense. Here is an example of relevance: I am looking for an auto mechanic. I search for it in Bing or Google. The search results turn up and I see all listings of boat mechanics. Now how relevant is that? Not at all relevant and I would probably be a little upset because I need an auto mechanic not a boat mechanic. That is why you should focus on making yourself relevant.
Being relevant goes even further than just improving your campaign, it also improves the quality of leads that advertisers collect during your campaign. The better leads they receive the probability of higher payouts and even more campaigns for you to take advantage of from that advertiser. It is our goal to make them happy right? The answer to that is yes. We want these campaigns to last and keep running. That is how we make our money as affiliates or publishers.
Improving your relevancy will improve your quality score and will result in more volume or clicks and more potential conversions. I am going to share some tips on betting your overall campaign.
Being organized will help you, your campaign and your wallet. Not only are you able to remember which campaign does what but you will also help your quality score which will help your wallet. Below are some ways of being organized and a few things you can do to achieve this with any PPC network:
- Group your keywords and ads into ad groups, organizing them around lists of highly related keywords. This lets you write ads that are appropriate for a single set of keywords and that send your customers to landing pages that are optimized for those keywords…This will improve your quality score and add more volume to your campaign.
- Organizing your campaigns is one of the things I do not hear about too often. People are not clued in on how this will help them better their performance. Keep ad groups, landing pages and headlines all together with related ads, and keywords.
- Another great way to keeping organized is making sure that you are tracking everything. Keep a document with your ad information, and links for each ad. You should plugin some data each ad run or each week so that you can see how well your ads are performing. I have created simple excel docs to compare. They help you stay organized and keep your ads working for you.
That is about all I have for organization. Keep in mind that the above mentioned information is not the only things you can do to keep yourself organized. Be creative…and make your job easier and more worthwhile.
Pro Tip: If you are using tracking software like Prosper202 then it is a good idea to install the software for each landing page domain you are using. I noticed more volume when this was done. Your tracking link should be the same domain as in your Display domain resulting in more volume. This may be questioned and is definitely not a fact…but from my own testing I found this to be the case.
Get Creative – Your Income Depends On It
You probably hear about this often. Creativity is the key to success in this business. Trust me when I say that you need to think outside the box with your ads, keywords and landing pages. One small change to your landing page, ads or headlines could be what you needed to finally succeed or take you further in your business. This is something that happened to me. One day I was running a campaign and I changed the background to black and my conversions were massive. The landing page still converts extremely well to this day. That was one small change. Another landing page change was turning the background red and adding a timer. These two small changes turned the campaign into a winner campaign. I was losing money each run but not enough that called for me to kill it. I knew it could profit…I just had to figure out how.
Here is a spoiler for you…did you know that probably every single offer on an affiliate network has an affiliate killing it each and every single day? I believe this to be true. With each offer there is a way to make a profit with it. The only reason why you are not profitable with it and someone else is…is that they were creative. They collected data…they were organized and worked at making it profitable. Maybe they got lucky but I can guarantee they were creative about how they promoted the offer.
Here are a few ways to get keyword creative:
Be sure to follow all rules that the advertiser and Network have in place so that you are not in any violations. They set these rules for a reason…some of these reasons may be to protect them and yourself from any potential claims. Be affiliate wise…
- Use broad match keywords on new campaigns to learn about other potential keywords which are working for your campaign. If you use the keyword “Watch TV on PC” you may find in your data that the keyword “Watch Live TV on your PC free” is another keyword or phrase that is converting well for you which you can turn into your exact match ad groups for your winner keywords.
- Use the exact match option for your keywords when you know the keyword is a winning keyword. It is a good idea to build an exact match and broad match ad group set of winner keywords. Also, exact match keyword helps you show ads that customers are more likely to be interested in and want to click.
- Add negative keywords to your keyword list. Adding these to your keyword list saves you from having to pay for clicks that have a low probability of conversion or sales.
- Add your customers’ most popular search keyword to the ad title and first line of ad text. You can also use dynamic text to make your ad’s title, text, or display URL display keywords that match, or closely match, the text that customers type for their search queries.
Getting creative with your landing page:
Advertisers and Networks have specific rules sometimes on landing pages. Please be sure to consult with your affiliate manager if you have any questions. Be sure to read the terms to prevent any issues with your Network account.
- Change up your buttons and try text links instead with larger fonts. This has worked well for me in the past and continues to. The blue underlined text link is the most recognized link on the internet.
- Link to a landing page on your website that’s relevant to both the ad being displayed and what customers are looking for. If your landing page isn’t what users expect (and what your ad implies) you risk having customers abandon your website, and your conversion rate will be low. You’ll also risk having your ad disapproved by the PPC network you are using. Be landing page smart.
- Images that closely relate and are attractive. These things do not have to always be pretty and flashy. Ugly does a good job of converting. Most of my ugly landing pages convert better than my new flashy web pages. That goes for my banner creative as well. Ugly converts…but be sure to test this to know for sure.
- When creating a landing page for a PPC campaign in Google or Bing be sure to follow rules but also be sure to keep your text on topic and try hard to get some of your top converting keywords in the landing page. Using GEO targeting is also a good idea if your offer relates.
- A clear call to action should ALWAYS be above the fold and maybe consider more than one call to action. Consider your traffic to be lazy. They don’t want to scroll down. All they want is to be told where to go to get the value that you are promising.
By now you should have an idea of how to better the performance of your campaigns and drive massive traffic to your landing pages. Go further and really research your keywords and be as targeted as possible. This will help you keep both your traffic source and your advertisers happy.
I hope that with the above information you can take massive action and earn more with your campaigns. If you have any questions then please comment below. I will be responding to all comments. Thank you for reading my guest post and I look forward to more.