The two biggest setbacks for anyone who wants to get into affiliate marketing are:
- Not enough time to pursue ideas quickly enough
- Not enough capital behind you to start new sites or ppc campaigns
One of the other major setbacks is deciding whether to stay in your full time job or not.
I personally am a huge believer in a career that I know will be a solid backup to any affiliate marketing that I do & I also love my job, however it has the disadvantages of point 1. Not being able to spend as much time as I’d like on campaigns or ideas.
There’s always outsourcing but more on that another time.
So, how do you make that transition from working Full Time into Affiliate Marketing full time?
I know it sounds stupid but trust me, Ebay was what initally got me into Affiliate Marketing & it still accounts for a good proportion of my online income.
I’ll give you a few reasons as to why marketing on ebay is good:
Automation: You can automate almost every aspect of selling on ebay once you have a product.
Audience: You have a huge audience, don’t have to worry about SEO or Marketing. It kindof falls into the old “Build it & they will come” scenario.
Education: I’ve found that most ebay users & buyers are much less educated than your average Google User so you can sell products that only focus on high level details rather than the nitty gritty stuff.
These three factors alone make ebay the absolute perfect way to market any product you’ve created yourself online.
I’ll quickly give you an overview of what I do to create & market an item on ebay:
- Create an informational product in PDF format. Make it as professional looking as I can (spelling, layout & logos). Provide a lot of useful & actionable information, actionable is important if you want to make affiliate sales from within the book.
- Lock the PDF file so that people can’t copy & paste the information.
- Slightly sprinkle the PDF with cloaked affiliate links, these convert pretty well from ebay sales believe it or not.
- Include an opt-in list inside the ebook so that I get them on my mailing list, chances are if they’ve bought the book they’ll buy more from you later. You can use Aweber for this ($19.95/month).
- Create a selling page for the item that will entice the user to buy the product (you’ll need to know basic html for this). This should include things like proof of concept, does the product work? Testimonials & even include screenshots of your feedback if it’s all positive. There are tonnes of ebay tricks you can use to get more exposure & get more views however I’ll leave them for another post
- Create about 10 listings of the product across a few different categories with varying copy & pricing to split test how it performs. You can easily sell a great book for $20 if the selling page is done right.
- Set up Outlook Express or Thunderbird to automatically deliver the ebook to the buyer once the paypal payment notification comes through.
- When you send them through the ebook also let them know about other products you’ve got listed, also hit them with the link for the mailing list again.
- Once you figure out from testing which copy & categories work best load everything into Turbo Lister & automate the process, you will also need to split test various finishing times for the auctions. I quite like my auctions to finish on Monday morning on Sunday Evening.
- If you have a good product & selling page you can easily be shifting 5-10+ copies of it per day automatically & making a nice monthly cheque off any residual affiliate commissions.
- Then market a product to the list Bi-Weekly or whenever you find something that you think will interest them. If you’re selling heaps of products at a low price it’s quite easy to use Ebay to build up a quick marketable opt in list.
That’s pretty much it. Each of those steps can be drilled down a bit & streamlined once you get your first product sorted.
Doing this properly you could be pulling in around $2,000+ a month per item.
Once you’ve got the stability & residual income every month you will then have the ability to fire your boss & start working on your other ventures online. It’s all about building your portfolio & diversifying your income streams.
Too many people try to make all their cash from Adsense instead of looking at the bigger picture & really breaking into as many markets as you can.